You can do it! It takes hard work to stop smoking, chewing tobacco or using snuff. There are lots of great reasons to quit. Here are just a few:
- You will feel better, and most likely live longer.
- You will reduce your chance of a heart attack, cancer or stroke.
- You will have more energy and breathe easier.
- The people you live with, especially your children, will be healthier.
- You will have extra money to spend on things other than tobacco products!
The State Health Plan for Teachers and State Employees has many benefits and resources to help:
QuitlineNC is a telephonic quit tobacco program. Quit Coaches® will call you at your convenience up to three times after your initial call to coach you on quitting, goal setting, problem solving and medications. QuitlineNC can help you if you smoke, chew or use snuff. You will be mailed educational materials and can be enrolled in a web-based program for extra support.
Free nicotine replacement therapy patches also will be offered to qualifying members through QuitlineNC. You must be enrolled in the Multiple-Call Coaching Program to receive free patches. Start today!
You do not need a prescription.
You can get 4 months of patches per plan year, for up to 2 years (subject to specific limitations)
Patches will be mailed directly to your home.
- Tobacco Cessation Counseling
Counseling by a physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, or behavioral health provider is covered. See your doctor!
- Prescription Medications
Nicotine Replacement Therapy Patches: $10 generic copay; $5 over-the-counter generic copay.
Buproprion (generic for Zyban): $10 generic copay
Nicotine Nasal Spray, Nicotine Inhaler, Varenicline (Chantix): $35 copay.